Your favorite player makes running up and down the court look easy. But the truth is, their heels are blister-prone and their legs can get heavy, no matter how well they hide it. Quality socks help players feel better, perform at their best, and look sharp until the final whistle.
But do you know what to look for in a pair of cool basketball socks? Believe it or not, all socks are not created equally. Some white cotton socks will leave feet soaking wet and sore, while other sock styles keep athletes’ feet dry and comfortable. The best boys and girls basketball socks promote style and comfort.
From maintaining good circulation to standing out in team photos, here are some different ways a pair of good basketball socks can change the game – and how to know what to look for.
Choosing the Right Style for Your MVP
Some basketball players prefer a crew length sock to let their calves breathe while they’re in the game, while other players like over the calf socks for complete coverage. At MadSportsStuff, we have both styles available. There is always a pair of cool basketball socks that matches a player’s style.
Here are some ideas for how to find the right fit out on the court:
- Stick with School Colors. Want to represent the school colors or a favorite NBA team? Players can choose cool basketball socks in either crew or over the calf length that have a specific color scheme. Save game socks for game time, and warm up in a pair of socks that match your favorite mascot or show off school pride.
- Go for Custom Designs. A pair of custom socks are another favorite among star basketball players. A pair of basketball socks with your player’s number on the back and a custom color combination build confidence and look great. Better yet, you can order a set of custom number socks for the entire team! Identifying players in motion will be easier than ever.
- Choose from Crazy Patterns. If your league allows it, wearing socks with crazy patterns is a lot of fun. Stars, stripes, unicorns, and lightning bolts are just the beginning. Players can really show off their personality with a pair of silly or bright colored socks. Even if they have to suit up in team-approved socks during game time, wild patterns are great for showing off in practice.
- Try Cause-Related Designs. Some socks have a pink ribbon or puzzle design to promote awareness about breast cancer or autism. If your player has a big heart and wants to promote important causes while they’re on the court, choose a style that is related to a charity or social cause that everyone can relate to.
Best Qualities for Basketball Socks
Once your players decide which style is right for them, it’s time to focus on support and comfort. Sometimes the flashiest options don't necessarily provide the functionality needed for athletes to play their best. For instance, finding the best basketball socks to prevent blisters, will have your child driving up and down the court with ease.
On the hunt for cool basketball socks that also help players score? Here is what to look for in the best basketball socks for comfort:
- Blister Control. Blisters on the back of the heels or the front of the toe (or, really, anywhere) are just the pits. They make it painful to run, impossible to jump, and can sideline a player just when their teammates need them most. Blister control keeps feet healthy and players on the court.
- Compression. When you think of compression socks, you probably imagine a grandmother on a plane, not a young star in their cool basketball socks. But the right pair of athletic socks can look great and give compression support to important areas! Ankle and arch compression ward off fatigue and get blood back to the heart faster.
- Double-Welt Top. Focusing on the perfect jump shot is harder when you’re distracted by falling socks. A double welt (the collar at the top of a sock) ensures that socks stay in place, free throw after free throw. They also stop the socks from turning and twisting throughout the game.
- Moisture-Wicking. When socks get heavy with sweat, it’s hard to stay quick and nimble. You want socks that pull sweat away from the body and dry incredibly fast. This allows a player’s legs to stay limber and light throughout the game. Moisture-wicking does just that. In fact, moisture control might just be the single most important feature for any pair of basketball socks.
- Odor Control. Your players won’t notice their funky smell during the game, but their gym bag will notice after the final quarter wraps up! Antimicrobial properties in socks help them keep some odor at bay and help cool basketball socks fresher for longer. The back of your mini-van (and your nose) will thank you.
MadSportsStuff for Cool Basketball Socks
At MadSportsStuff, we always want your MVP to wear stylish socks that make them feel and look their best. Whether it’s a pair of over the calf crazy socks or a simple black and white crew sock, they can’t go wrong with our quality athletic socks.
All MadSportsStuff socks are made with pride right here in the USA, and we have a variety of patterns and style options available for boys and girls who play basketball. We also carry an array of men’s and women’s basketball socks. Even better, we can accommodate team orders. Who just became the best team parent? You did!
Our custom orders can be completed in about four to six weeks, so get your order in as soon as possible to be ready for the next season. If you have questions about a custom order or a standard purchase, reach out today!